The Old Executive Office Building (OEOB), now officially known as the Dwight
D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building (and formerly as the State, War, and
Navy Building) is a federal office building next to the White House.
The Old Executive Office Building was built between 1871 and 1888. Designed
by Alfred B. Mullett, Supervising Architect, in the French Second Empire-style,
the building housed the Departments of State, War, and Navy.
Much of the interior was designed by Richard von Ezdorf using fireproof
cast-iron structural and decorative elements. The building gradually
became seen as inefficient and was nearly demolished in 1957.
Since 1981, major renovations have been performed, including the development
of a comprehensive preservation program and the formulation of a master plan
for the buildings continued adaptive use.
The building continues to house various agencies that compose the President's
Executive Office, such as the Office of the Vice President, the Office of
Management and Budget, and the National Security Council.
For more information, see link below
National Registry of Historic Sites
Old Executive Office Building
This site maintained by invatol.com
DC Time Line